Sunday 22 January 2012

If all else fails, Plan B HRF

Well its been one of those weekends of chasing our tails around trying to find a January bass, I keep reading reports of anglers catching on local grounds, Like this cracking fish by Adrian (click here) Both me an Mr Fox did the short drive over to Abbotsbury at 5am followed by a half hour walk in the dark only to find the water clarity very poor ,but we pressed on. After a few dozen casts I had a screaming run that took me off guard, after a short game of tug and pull the fish won and jumped the hook.. To say I was gutted is an understatement.. Maybe next time! Lure of choice was the Delande GT shad mounted on a 15g jig head retrieved in a sink a draw style.




So to try an redeem my fishing confidence I headed out to a popular local mark to see if I could pull a few Pollock out from the depths, normally I’d fish LRF here but I only had the bassing gear with me, as always I turned to old faith full the Megabass rainbow pearl (hi pitch), this lure has never failed to find a fish of two, worked dead slow through the depths, fish seem to throw them selves on the hooks.

To finish the weekend off I took Mr Fox to a mark where I hooked a few bass last year and saw the flank of what must have been a double, things look perfect today, a rising tide, sun going down and a cross wind that was bringing with it constant swell. Every cast I was expecting to feel the bang of a bass attack.. But the bass didn’t show, maybe to early in the year for this mark, I have started keeping a very detailed catch report database for this very reason.



After a good few hours of blasting hard lures out to the horizon with no success, I decided it was time for a change before we ran out of light, Plan B HRF, as I was carrying the versatile budget rod Grauvell Teklon Spin, I wouldn’t class this rod as an HRF rod, but I thought what’s the harm in trying to save the day with a wrasse or two. First cast with a Reins Rockvibe Shad 2" Gold Legend mounted on a 12g cone weight and size 4 weed less hook and the obvious bites where there. Lots of short takes and bumps but due to the lack of feel at range I managed to find the one fish to save the day. I shall certainly be going back to this mark with a true HRF rod, as the mark screams big wrasse.



Also this was the first time I had a chance to try out the Quantum EXOpt I purchased from Chesil Bait and Tackle, these guys are getting some really nice gear now from all the top end brands, just what Weymouth needed! First thing I notice with this reel is how light it is, weighing in at 7.1oz it makes some top end reels feel like lead sinkers. Plus I swear they must have had a formula 1 car designer put some effort into the looks of the reel.. The exoskeleton design is out standing and makes the reel stand out from the mid budget reels on the market. I do ask myself the question though, what would happen if a small peddle were to jump in the chamber? but being such a tackle tart as I am.. I’ll worry about it when it happens. More to follow on the reel but so far so good…




Hope you enjoyed the read
Tight lines!




No comments:

Post a Comment