Saturday 13 August 2011

Makes me think?

To be honest I’m still a little speechless over this news that I read on Matt Newcombe and Henry Gilbys blogs. I’m not going to repeat what all the top angling blogs are saying this week, all I’m going to say is… It makes me sad and more concerned for the future of sea fishing in the UK, when are people going to learn to respect these creatures and enjoy the fact that we still have half a hope an prayer at catching a few bass, THE MORE WE RELEASE THE MORE WE CATCH!


Right, now that’s off my chest I can tell you all about the one hour session of freedom I had this week. High tide was at around 7pm, and I didn’t finish work till 6:45pm so I had no time for any major adventures. My choice of venue was the local pier, which not many people realise, but get the timing right and this pier can make dreams come true. I arrived at 7:30, rig up and tie on the fox lure clip. First lure of choice was the 125 SLD F H139-TS Duo Tide Minnow.

This lure has caught me some cracking bass in the past and casts like a bullet into a head wind. The swimming action is a perfect representation of a sand eel, with a slight twitch of the rod tip and slow retrieve at night its outstanding. Within around 4 casts came the first of two fish, for a fish of around 1LB the fight was exceptional. After a few photos courtesy of Rob Mears, the fish was returned unharmed and ready to fight another day.

To give Rob some confidence and the best chance of his first bass, I gave him the Duo Lure to fish with and changed over to a Tackle House Feed Shallow 128 Pink Rainbow, moving around the pier I could see a few ripples on the surface over a very close in weed bed, I swear the water must have been only 12 inches deep, second cast and bang! Fish on.. I’ve got to say that for school bass they are putting up a harder fight than earlier in the year.. Perhaps because the water temperature has risen.. Who knows?
As this fish was landed I heard a few young voices behind me asking if I had caught a mullet or mackerel, the look on their faces when I lift a bass out the water is priceless, (especially from the piers). I took this opportunity to show them a little about the bass, and how they should be handled with care and safely returned. I just hope these guys listen and feel the same as most of us bass anglers do..
Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment