Sunday 24 July 2011

All Work And No Play !

Well from the title you probably guessed there hasn’t been much fishing. As I was working at a machine, I was watching perfect tides and the slight breaks in weather pass on by. So with my one day off this week I managed to catch up on some sleep and check out some fishing marks for the following week.
I like to check out marks and make notes at the beginning of the week for many reasons, swell to wind ratio, wind direction and water clarity, the list can be endless but all have a massive effect on my fishing. I tend to try and visit marks at low water, find those gully and weed patches where fish will hold up and ambush prey. One thing a lot of people don’t realise is some seaweed can grow 50cm in one day! One week of good sunshine and calm conditions can turn a productive fishing mark into a tackle graveyard.


Portland

Take this photo I took today at low water, this whole location is a massive kelp forest with a gully that runs from the bay on the left out to sea at a 25 degree angle to the right. The mark gives great shelter from the south westerly winds. And has a natural breakwater that stops those rogue waves from washing you off your perch. For me this location screams Wrasse by day and Pollack by night, maybe a Bass or two, but due to that natural breakwater there is no main flow of water entering the bay.
On this simple observation I can now plan a mid week, late evening fishing trip and give myself a high chance of finding some fish… I know this general location fishes best on the flood under the cover of darkness, if I get the chance with work being so busy than a report shall soon follow, lets hope for some fish!!
The Fleet Weymouth

No comments:

Post a Comment